Monday, May 16, 2022

Athlete Profile: Chris Huet

 Athlete Profile: Chris Huet, W6 category from Victoria Harbour, Ontario

Chris Huet has been racing the Ontario Masters circuit, winning the Ontario Masters point series several times. At Canmore, Chris raced well and came away with two bronze medals in the medium distance classic (15 km) and the short skate (10 km). Attached is the video of her bronze classic race, where she is greeted at the finish line by Canadian skier Kathy Butler (Saskatchewan).
Ontario Masters was able to chat with Chris to understand where her athleticism and passion to race came from.
How did you get in to cross country skiing?
"I grew up in Sault Ste. Marie and my mother was an adventure lover so introduced us to nordic skiing. Later when I started teaching in Brampton I was doing triathlons and coached swimming for the Regency group where Bruce Nevison convinced a group of us to join his Chinguacousy Nordic Team to compete in loppets."
Chris like many masters skiers took time off from competitive sport while raising a family , but once her two daughters got old enough, it was Bruce who once again encouraged them all to race in cross country skiing.
How did you get into Masters World Cup racing?
"When I retired from teaching high school an athlete I used to coach (in running) offered to help me train for my first World Cup Masters race in Minneapolis Minnesota. Brittany Webster had raced for Canada in 2 previous Olympics so was a great resource. I had so much fun, that when I heard the next year was in Beitostolen Norway, I began planning to go. Norway had always been on my bucket list. Again, I had so much fun and loved the culture. I was scheduled to race in Italy before Covid hit so unfortunately missed that year. Connected with Brittany again last fall as we worked together well in my past 2 World Cup events . Canmore was an outstanding event in March. "
What does the future hold?
"Next year I would love to go to Austria but I have not finalized my goals at this point. But I am looking forward to seeing all the friendly masters skiers at local races again next season."
Congrats to Chris on her great success and we look forward to seeing Chris at races next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment